2021 Global Health Trainee Grant Application Landing Page
The Centre for International Child Health (CICH) Global Health Trainee grant is available to support trainees in the health professions who are engaged in global health electives focused on clinical training activities related to the health care of newborns, children, adolescents, or women in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) and underserved areas of high-income countries.
At the beginning of each academic year, in consultation with program/discipline directors and the CICH will decide on the number of trainees that can be supported and the amount for each, not to exceed $1,250. Selection criteria for participating in global health electives are set by the individual departments.
Eligibility and Prioritization of Candidates
Be registered as a resident or fellow in a postgraduate medical training program, or be a student in a British Columbia enrolled in a health care discipline training program that leads to a professional designation.
Have approval and supervision from a preceptor in the host country as well as approval from their local program director.
Complete pre-departure training modules, necessary workshops and/or designated courses including safety and security measures such as travel clinic, evacuation insurance, etc.
The global health elective must:
Start between July 1 and December 31, 2021.
Relate to newborn, child, adolescent, or women's health.
Be part of an overall accredited training program with approval from the candidate's program director.
Be supervised by a faculty member who is employed at or holds clinical privileges BC Children's Hospital, BC Women's Hospital, or is an active member of its related research institutes.
Be a minimum of 4 weeks in duration (shorter electives may quality with proper justification).
Be focused on vulnerable or marginalized populations either in a low- or middle-income country (LMIC) or in an underserved area of a high-income country.
Electives must have a clinical objective, but may also involve an additional research objective. Trainee grants are not for project support. Applications for courses or conferences will not be accepted.
Applicants will complete this online application form including uploading a copy of their current resume/CV.
The selection committee will review all completed applications, with consideration for the following aspects:
Good academic standing at time of application and elective.
Clear, concise, well-written applications that reflect a deeper understanding of the ethical implications of global health training.
Priority will be given to applications with clearly stated equitable contributions to host site (above and beyond clinical service) and an understanding of the "ethics of reciprocity" within global health training electives.
Preference may be given to those who have a demonstrated commitment to or sincere interest in global health work.
Planning of the elective with local leaders
Expectations: Global Health Rounds/Written Summary of Experience + Photos
Trainees who return from global health electives are expected to:
- Obtain consent from any recognizable subjects pictured in the photos submitted to the CICH for media use.
- *Consent forms are required for any other recognizable subjects that appear in submitted photos (PHSA Media Consent and Release form will be distributed to successful applicants).
- Within 2 months of returning from their elective:
- Provide a written summary of their experience (500 word minimum) along with 2 or more photos* capturing moments of their global health experience;
- Submit an expense claim, including a summary of expenses and the original receipts from travel (credit card purchases must include original and credit card receipt, claims for flights must include purchase receipt as well as boarding passes).
- Present on their experience at a global health "Lunch and Learn" or Grand Rounds at BC Children's Hospital.
Please note: The summary report is to be emailed to CICH (firstname.lastname@example.org) and may be used in internal and/or external communication materials. Hard copy receipts for expense claims must be mailed in or otherwise delivered to the CICH at 305-4088 Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC V5Z 2X8.
Trainees are kindly asked to acknowledge the CICH in any formal presentation, academic poster, research paper, etc., which relates to the global health elective experience.
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of the CICH director, staff, and committee members.
- Applicants will be notified of their application status by CICH on a rolling basis, as applications are received. Applications open on July 1, 2021 and close on December 31, 2021.
- A waitlist will be formed in the case that circumstances change and successful applicants are unable to participate in their global health elective.
- If successful candidates receive additional external funding that exceeds the cost of their elective, CICH reserves the right to withhold or request return of funds.
- In order for the grant to be administered, the successful candidates must submit to CICH original receipts within two (2) months of finishing their elective (for expenses such as airfare, accommodation, etc. - if the claim is for travel, boarding passes need to be included in the submission). If this expense claim is not received within the period specified above, the award will be forfeited.
- This application form must be completed and submitted at least 4 weeks prior to departure for elective. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until December 31, 2021 at midnight, PST.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact CICHinfo@cw.bc.ca with subject ‘2021 Global Health Trainee Grant.’